Top 5 Courses I've Played (in Asia)

Now that I've lived in Asia for the better part of three years, and therefore managed to tee it up at a fair share of the region's finest golf courses, I figure it's high time to name my faves.

Naturally, most of the layouts I've experienced are in Vietnam and Singapore. But I've also been lucky enough to test tracks in Thailand, Indonesia and Hong Kong. I've seen what Cambodia's got, too. And they look fun. Of them all, though, these are the top 5:

5) Banyan (Hua Hin, Thailand) -- When it comes to course conditions, few hold a candle to this newbie. The views aren't too shabbie, either -- especially from the clubhouse veranda, which looks out over a quiet valley backdropped by the Burmese Mountains, or the 15th tee, with the Gulf of Thailand in the distance. Spectacular.

4) Nirwana (Bali, Indonesia) -- The thing I love about Nirwana isn't its proximity to the Indian Ocean, or how the iconic Tanah Lot temple is just so cool to look at -- it's how I can remember every hole and I've only played it once. Maybe it's the way its terraced rice paddies act as a guide from the very first hole. I don't know. I just know it's unforgettable and that I want to play it again (and again).

3) Dalat Palace (Dalat, Vietnam) -- It's old, it's got some design flaws, and it's a bit scruffy around the edges. And when it rains, better off wearing Wellingtons than Eccos -- drainage is a problem. But to all of it I say, "So what!" Give me cool mountain air, tall pine trees and the best greens you'll find anywhere and I'm yours forever.

2) Ria Bintan (Bintan, Indonesia) -- The first Gary Player course I ever played was The Links at Fancourt in South Africa. And I loved it. Ria Bintan, 45 minutes by ferry from Singapore and another Player creation, is in the same class, even though it's totally different. It ain't linksy. It's jungle golf at its finest, with ocean views galore.

1) Danang GC (Danang, Vietnam) -- It's not even officially open yet -- two weeks still to go -- but I've been lucky enough to play it twice already. What makes it the winner? Simply put: The simplicity. There's nothing tricked up about it. It's a golf course in the dunes (see pic) that looks as if it's been there for centuries. And that, as all my friends know, is my favorite kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Dragons Dance in Salt Lake City

Shop Signs in Ho Chi Minh & Hookah in Hong Kong

5 Ways to Become an Alchee in Saigon