What I've Learned... in Asia

It's officially 2010. We rang in the new year last night from Singapore's Boat Quay, where there was no shortage of fireworks -- both in the sky, and at the pub after a few of its patrons had one too many Jaeger bombs.

But that's another story.

I've decided, as I embark on a decade that will take me through my 44th birthday (god willing!), to write an entry in the spirit of Esquire's "What I've Learned" column, with an emphasis on my time in Asia. My early 30s has been a time of tremendous growth and... realizations. Just a few of the things I've learned during the past 30 months:

You can get the game (thanks, www.justin.tv), but the time difference is a killer.

Tiger beer rules.

The food rules too, but there are days I would die for a proper, American barbecue.

Vietnam has color and chaos. Singapore has quality and... malls.

Only the Western world (and Singapore) believe in queueing.

You haven't seen anything until you've been on a cyclo ride through Saigon with Mr. Binh.

Singapore is as organized a place as you will find, but service can be shocking.

Durian is the foulest smelling fruit you can imagine. The aroma of a fish sauce factory is no picnic, either.

Hong Kong is plain cool.

The lower the caddie number here, the better the caddie.

Siem Reap is temples, pre-school peddlers, tuk tuks, Pub Street and stray plastic bags.

Former PGA Tour commish Deane Beman, whom I had the privilege of playing a round with two years ago in Dalat, was right: "If you care where the world is going to be, you come to Asia."

Bali (pictured) ain't just sand and surf. It's also sick mountains and spiritual in a way that is hard to describe.

Community is taken seriously. By and large, this part of the world is extremely safe. People look out for each other. Respect their elders.

Thailand gets hospitality.

I can be tricked into eating ngau pin (look it up)... but it will never happen again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Dragons Dance in Salt Lake City

Shop Signs in Ho Chi Minh & Hookah in Hong Kong

5 Ways to Become an Alchee in Saigon